Everyone who works in the construction industry and all cleaners must have a valid HSE card showing who they are and what company they work for, the HSE card will help to create a better overview of the employees on building and construction sites. and where cleaning service is performed. HSE cards must be worn visible at work.

On The Labor Inspection website you can see what is considered as a construction site, and what exceptions apply to the rule that everyone must have a HSE card. 

People who hold one of the roles in the table below can log in at to order cards for employees in the company. These will also have the opportunity to delegate this authority to others.

An overview of who has relevant roles can be found by looking up the business at brønnøysund registers.

To order a HSE card, you must log in via the ID portal on our website Click on SIGN IN and select the desired login method. If you do not have an electronic ID, you can click This is how you get Electronic ID and follow the instructions.
After you log in, you will see all companies and organizations in which you hold the necessary role and those for which you have been delegated authorizations.

Group with several AS

If the other ASs are sub-units of the Group's main unit, then the CEO can delegate access to one or more who will in turn be able to order HSE cards to employees in the main unit and all the sub-units.

It is important to note that subunits must not be confused with subsidiaries.

If the other ASs are subsidiaries, each manager or someone with an associated role through Altinn must delegate access to the person (s) who must order HSE cards for the relevant business.


If you want to delegate access to the company so that others can also order HSE cards, this can be done below Company in the menu to the right. Here you will get an overview of how many delegated access is. Click on SHOW DETAILS to get extended information.

Click on Delegate to others to bring up the image as shown below.

  • Enter social security number and click add.
  • Fill in other necessary information.
  • If desired, select the start and end dates.
  • Click on Save delegation.

Those who have now been granted authorization will be able to log on and see the company.

Choose the right company

To order a HSE card, you must first, after logging in, click into the correct company. This is done by selecting the company in the list that comes up. If you choose the wrong one, you can easily change your company by clicking in the upper right corner. There you will get the choice Change company.

If you want to order cards for multiple units or companies, then you must place an order for each unit or company. It is not possible to order cards for several companies on the same order.

Find the right employee

When you have chosen the company for which you want to order a HSE card, you will get a list of all employees associated with that company. This list is taken from the NAV state register of employers and employees and will be updated daily. If one or more employees do not show up, it may be that NAV`s register has not been updated or that the changes were not included in the last submitted A-melding from your company. You must then add them manually.

If the company has many employees it may be necessary to press Load more or search.

Who doesn't show up in the staff list?

Here it will be necessary to add them by clicking ADD EMPLOYEE. Fill in personal number or d-number,  first name and surname (the correct name will be extracted from the National Register) and finally click SAVE.

You will be able to order HSE cards for these immediately afterwards, but they will not be effected until the required registry checks have been completed. The name may also be updated as it is retrieved from the National Register.

Order HSE Card

Ordering HSE cards is done as in a standard online store. On the other hand, it is required to upload a photo and a copy of a valid ID.
It is not possible to order HSE cards to someone who already has a card. The last month before the HSE card expires, a new card can be ordered.

  • Add an order under Employees by clicking the icon of a Shopping Cart or selecting Order new card .
  • After the desired number of cards has been added to the order, click My orders in the menu to the right.
  • Add additional products, if desired.
  • Look over the order and select the desired shipping address.
    It is possible to add several predefined delivery addresses below Company in the menu to the right.
  • Click on CONTINUE TO PAY.
  • Choose your preferred payment method.
    Pay by card, Vipps or invoice.
    Add monthly invoice (30 days)

Monthly invoice (30 days) can be sent per mail, e-mail or as ehf invoice. The options are selected under Company in the menu to the right.

EHF invoice is only available through invoice (30 days).

The customer will receive an order confirmation per. email upon completion of order.

New cards will have a validity of 2 years, and the company's contact person and the one that placed the order will receive an e-mail on cards that are about to expire.

Picture and identification can be uploaded before or after ordering HSE card.

What is considered valid Identification

Approved identification paper is identification that meets the requirements of the Immigration Regulations (FOR-2009-10-15-1286), Appendix 4 or travel documents as discussed by the Directorate of Immigration and Norwegian driver's licenses issued after 1998.

If you do not have any of these types of credentials, please contact The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority.

Fotografiet skal oppfylle følgende krav

  • The photograph should show the owner's face as they appear today, without headgear * or similar.
  • Both eyes and ears should be fully visible.
  • The gaze should be aimed at the camera lens.
  • The facial expression should be neutral and the mouth closed.
  • The background should be light with no strong shadows.
  • The face should be evenly illuminated.
  • Eyeglasses must not be worn.
  • The face must be depicted directly from the front.

Click for more information


Uploading can be done by the ordering or card holder, but must always be started by the organization, click on UPLOAD A NEW PICTURE under each employee.


Then select the desired upload method. Share link or Upload from your device.

Share link will allow you to send a secure link to the employee by copying and sharing it.

Etter at kortene er bestilt vil de sendes videre for automatisk sjekk opp mot registrene og til kontroll av legitimasjon og portrettbilde. 

  •  Cards that do not meet the requirements will have status Pending until all requirements are approved.
  • A card order can be pending for 20 days before it automatically gets cancelled and the card must be re-ordered.
  • This dones not apply to cleaning companies that are awaiting approval from Labor Inspectorate. These will have status Pending until final answer is available.
  • Once all registry checks have been approved, the order is executed and the cards automatically go into production.
  • The orderer will receive a receipt by email with an attachment that acts as a temporary HSE card until a physical card is received,
  • Within 4 business days, the cards will be sent out of production and will then be sent by mail to the chosen delivery address.
  • If you want to send cards to different addresses, you need to divide the orders to the different locations.
  • The cards will be sent out in separate envelopes to the address stated in the order.
  • Ordered cardholders are shipped in their own shipping.

What to do when your order is rejected?

A card that is not approved will be canceled. This can be for a variety of reasons, such as no uploaded image or the person or company getting errors in one or more registry checks.

If this is the case, an e-mail will be sent to the orderer. The e-mail will contain the reason for the rejection and what the orderer must do to proceed. This message will also be available in the order portal.

Cards will automatically be invalidated if an employee quits the company, and blocked when the card's validity date has expired (2 years). Cards that are set as invalid will automatically be activated, and set as valid should an employee return to the company within the card's validity period.

If the HSE card is lost or stolen, this card must be blocked before a new card can be ordered. This is done by expanding the portal of the employee in the portal and clicking on Block card.

It is possible to check the status of HSE card on our website, Here you can search Cardnumber, and obtain status on the card and associated business.

It is also possible to do a status search with QR code Through a smartphone. Then card information will also appear.

It is mainly supervised by the Labor Inspectorate and the Petroleum Safety Authority. The tax authorities and the police may also require to see the HSE cards.

The Labor Inspectorate, the Petroleum Safety Authority, the tax authorities and the police can cancel HSE cards which are invalid because the period of validity has expired,
the employment or company has expired, or if the card or use of the card is invalid for other reasons.

The cards must be visible at work. HSE card must be displayed on request to:

  • Builder, builder's representative
  • Coordinator for safety, health and working environment (Working Environment Act § 2-2)
  • Safety representatives and regional safety representatives
    You can also perform checks yourself by performing a simpler search for the card number on our website.

The HSE cards have a built-in chip of the type Mifare 4K RFID (contactless chip). The following information is stored in the card's chip: 

  • First Name / Last Name.
  •  Date of birth.
  • Gender.
  • Organization number / Organization name.
  • Card number.
  • Expiration date.
  • In the magnetic strip on the card contains the stored organization number and card number.

Industry coding 

HSE cards have a so-called Industry coding built into the chip. This way of storing information allows HSE cards to be used in access systems, stamping clocks and by automatically reading information on the card.

The coding is done in a format prepared by the building and construction industry itself. If you need to be able to read the data with BNIDReadkey, contact EVRY.

For API connection of new API users:

  • The Labor Inspectorate must first decide on access to personal data. Contact or Inger Mowinckel at the Norwegian Labor Inspection Authority for further questions.
  • After access is granted, an agreement can be made with Evry.

The formalities regarding the agreements can be handled before 17 February 2020

The transition scheme for former users of API search on HSE-card status ends 01-06-2020. After this date, our new API solution must be used. It is divided into 2 levels.
API Level 1 is quite similar to the previous vendor solution, with some exceptions.

  • Connection is no longer run with username and password, but with OAUTH2
  • When searching for a card number, no personal data will appear.
  • When searching for QR or CHIP code you will get some more personal data.

API Level 2 is new compared to previous solution. There, among other things, you will have the opportunity to automate the entire ordering process.
What is important to note is that API Level 2 only provides access to data belonging to the client's business.
This means that if you want to place orders through the API on behalf of another company, then you must use this company's API key.

This guide is a compilation of requirements from the Norwegian authorities. This is to give an overview of what needs to be put in place to get an HSE card. In case of changes to requirements, this website may not always be updated. It is the various authorities' own websites that has the correct information.

The authorities have set very specific requirements for which registers both the company and the person must be registered in order to get HSE card.
If you receive error messages that you or your company are not registered in one or more of the different registers, then read more here about what you need to do to register properly.

Central coordinating register for legal entities/ Register of Business Enterprises

All businesses, both foreign and Norwegian, that conduct business in Norway must have an organization number. This is also true for Sole proprietorships. More information on how to register companies can be found at

Value-added tax register (VAT register)

Companies with a turnover of goods or texable services must be registered in the VAT register. More information on how to register in the VAT register can be found at

Some companies should not be registered in the VAT register. This applies, for example, to new companies that have not had sales of more than NOK 50,000 yet and some industries. There, the company itself must state when ordering an HSE card that they are not subject to the requirement for registration in the VAT register. This can be done by clicking Self-approve (See picture). Then the Register status will be set to Approved. The Norwegian Labor Inspection Authority will submit information about which companies believe they are not subject to registration in the VAT register to the tax authorities.

National register (Sosial security number or D-number)

Everyone who is to receive a HSE card must either have a Norwegian sosial security number or a D-number.
The sosial security number is initially assigned to people who are born in Norway or people who are registered as immigrants in Norway. D-numbers are assigned to foreign workers who come to Norway to work. The D-number is assigned by the Tax Administration when applying for a tax card. For more information on how to apply for D-number (See You can also apply for a D-number at the Service Offices for Foreign Workers in Norway (SUA). See Overview of SUA offices.

NAV state register of employers and employees

As the HSE card shows who you are and the business you work for, this must be verified in a register. Employees in Norwegian businesses will usually be registered in the Employers and Employees Register (Aa register).

Registration to the register can be done electronically via Please note that even though employers' contributions are paid for employees, they must be registered in the Aa register. The holder of the shares in a limited company is also regarded as an employee of the company and must be registered with the NAV Aa register if he or she receives a regular salary. For more information on Nav Aa Registry (See

Employees on NAV's permanently adapted measures

Will not be registered in the NAV Aa registry. In order to receive a HSE card, documentation from NAV with name and date of birth, as well as the organization number of the company must be sent to our support.

Assignment and employee register

For posted workers on assignments in Norway, the employment relationship is checked against registered information in the Assignment and employee register.

Assignments given to foreign companies must be registered by the Norwegian client in the Assignment and employee register with the tax authorities. The contractor shall register his employees working on the assignment. Upon registration, the D-number is assigned. More information on how to register the information can be found at

Cleaning register

It is prohibited to purchase cleaning services from unauthorized cleaning services. All companies that perform cleaning services must be approved or have applied for approval and received a letter from the Norwegian Labor Inspection Authority to begin ordering HSE cards.

All companies that offer cleaning services in whole or in part in Norway must apply for public approval. This also applies to those who hire people who perform cleaning services. The requirement for approval also applies to self-employed persons, whether the enterprise has employees or not. Companies with cleaning companies that only perform cleaning services within their own company should not apply for approval.

Read more about the requirements and how to apply for approval at

Residence permit with work access in Norway (only applies to cleaning companies)

For HSE cards within cleaning companies, it is also checked that all foreign nationals are allowed to work in Norway. Citizens from EU / EEA countries have the right to work in Norway. For citizens of other nationalities, this is checked with an automatic search against the UDI. For more information about what you as an employer must investigate, you can find information here (See

If the business has cleaners from nations outside the EU / EEA, who are legally staying in Norway for a family reunion with the EU / EEA spouse, then contact our support.

Staffing register (temporary agency)

Companies whose main purpose is to hire staff (temporary agency) must be registered in the Norwegian Labor Inspection Authority's register of registered staffing companies. For more information read more about "Mandatory reporting and registration scheme for staffing companies" at

What is a Norwegian-registered foreign enterprise (NUF)?

A NUF is a Norwegian branch of a foreign enterprise. The department in Norway is subject to the foreign enterprise, and it is the foreign enterprise that is responsible for the operations in the Norwegian department. Foreign companies that conduct business in Norway have a duty to register in the Register of Business Enterprises.

Foreign companies that do not engage in business activities, but who still need a Norwegian organization number, have the right to register in the Register of entities. The department in Norway must have a contact person. It is not required that the contact person must be domiciled in Norway, but the contact person must have a Norwegian person or D-number.

Register requirements for issuing HSE cards to NUF

Business Enterprises / CCR

All foreign enterprises operating in Norway have a duty to register in Register of Business Enterprices Business enterprises. Foreign companies that do not operate in Norway have the right to register in the Central coordinating register for legal entities. Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities if they need a Norwegian organization number Registration duty in the Register of Business Enterprises for NUF).

How to register a Norwegian registered foreign enterprise (NUF)

  • You register a NUF by filling out and submitting the form Coordinated register announcement Part 1 - Form for Norwegian-registered foreign enterprises. Registration cannot be done electronically.
  • Attach a registration certificate from the public registration authority in your home country and other necessary attachments.
  • Anyone who has a role in the NUF and who does not have a Norwegian birth number or a Norwegian D-number must also fill out an application for the allocation of D-number. If there is another person who will have a formal role in the department in Norway and who lacks a D-number, they must also apply for a D-number in connection with the registration.
  • Send the forms and attachments (all attachments should initially be in Norwegian, but Swedish, Danish and English are also accepted) collectively to the postal address stated on the form.

The different forms can be found on this page: Start and register the Norwegian Department of Foreign Enterprises (NUF).

Roles in NUF

There are those who have a registered role in the NUF who can order HSE cards for the company. Further information can be found on the page Roles in NUF.

Value Added Tax (VAT) register

If you, as a foreign company, are to perform assignments in Norway, you must deal with the Norwegian VAT rules Tax rules.
For assignments where the turnover in Norway exceeds NOK 50,000 over a period of twelve months, you must register the business in the VAT Register.
The registration in the VAT register must be made regardless of the duration of the assignment. If the department is not operated from a fixed place of business in Norway and comes under the provisions of the Value Added Tax Act, a representative must be registered. The representative requirement does not apply to companies from EEA countries.

UDI - Directorate of Immigration
If you are not a citizen of an EU / EEA country and are planning to work in Norway, you must investigate the rules for residence permits (See UDI - application for residence permit).


Companies that are domiciled abroad and who carry out assignments in Norway or on the Norwegian continental shelf have a duty to provide information to Norway and must deliver an a-melding.
Delivery is independent of tax liability to Norway. Sole Proprietorship with employees have the same disclosure obligation (See Foreign employers - duty to disclose information in the a-message).

Assignment and employee register
In addition, assignments performed in Norway or on the Norwegian continental shelf by a foreign company or a foreign self-employed person must also be registered in Assignment and employee register. In this register, you must provide information about assignments and employees (working conditions).
For more information about NUF and the various forms, please see these pages:

Contact IDEMIA Norge AS for previous order history and invoice information for HSE cards ordered before 2020.

Here you can log in to the old ordering solution and find previous order history and invoice information for HSE cards ordered in 2019 at IDEMIA Norge AS-
Note that here you have to use the old username and password.